RESULTS of the VIth All-Russian Conference "Development and Reliability Improvement of Distribution Networks"
(June 19-30, 2021, Moscow)
The conference was arranged and held by PJSC "ROSSETI" in cooperation with JSC "UNECO" (Moscow). The event was organized with the assistance of the CIS Electric Power Council. "ELECTRIC POWER. Transmission and Distribution" journal was the business coordinator and the title media sponsor of the conference.
The event was related to the range of issues faced by the distribution power grid and the most effective solutions for ensuring the optimum operation and development of distribution networks. The main topics discussed at the conference are the following:
- the 0.4-20 kV distribution networks development targets;
- modern digital solutions for 0.4 kV and 6-20 kV networks efficient control;
- energy efficiency and power losses reduction in 0.4 kV and 6-20 kV distribution networks;
- distribution networks reliability improvement;
- optimizing the construction of 0.4 kV and 6-20 kV networks and the actions of utilities while operating power distribution networks;
- live working in 0.4 kV and 6-20 kV networks;
- sharing experiences on burning issues, international practice review.
Conference participants: more than 400 persons, including representatives of the largest electric grid companies in Russia and the CIS, equipment manufacturers and service providers for electric power companies, experts from branch departments and scientists (per the list).
Having exchanged views on the set of issues, conference participants noted:
- The primary targets in 0.4-20 kV distribution networks are:
– ensuring the established quality levels of services (SAIDI, SAIFI) and the power quality;
– electricity retail markets support by providing technological connection to electric networks for new consumers;
– optimization of capital outlays and operating expenses in power distribution networks by optimizing engineering solutions when developing project design documentation and implementing high technologies, modern equipment, building structures and materials;
– reduction of technical losses in distribution networks to the optimum substantiated level;
– development of the distribution network observability;
– ensuring high-quality automatic voltage control, including the network energy accumulators (NEA) use as a means of voltage control in remote areas;
– advancements in live working technology in 6-20 kV power distribution networks;
– microgrid establishing;
– development of intelligent control systems for 6-20 kV distribution networks;
– development of template solutions for designing.
- Power industry development of the Russian Federation should be based on the use of high technologies and modern equipment.
- Feasibility of developing 20 kV electric power networks in Russian metropolises in the light of technical and financial viability and city development schemes.
- It is possible to reduce power losses in electric networks by applying a set of administrative and technical measures indicated in the reports presented at the conference. It is necessary to continue implementation of smart metering systems and relevant software.
- It is impossible to reduce operating expenses without promoting maintenance and repair technologies. The key point in this respect is to replicate best practices in technical diagnostics of equipment and power transmission lines available in various subsidiaries and affiliates of PJSC "ROSSETI".
- Special attention should be paid to the cable lines reliability, when developing solutions aimed at reliability improvement of distribution networks. Technologies, equipment and materials should be developed and implemented to ensure the laid cables are protected against external influences and operational impacts.
- 10-20 kV distribution networks development requires improvement of the technical standards base, including:
– technological design standards of city and rural 0.4-10 kV electric networks;
– technological design standards of 20 kV electric networks in metropolis;
– legal and regulatory framework governing a comprehensive approach to the implementation of measures in the area of neighboring networks responsibility (generating companies, local grid operator, consumers);
– legal and regulatory framework governing the NEA use as a second independent power supply for ensuring an upgraded power supply reliability category;
– adjustment of statutory prohibition on simultaneous activities of energy companies in the area of electricity generation, transmission and distribution.
- Necessity of engineering solutions and technologies widespread use for 0.4-20 kV electrical networks construction, providing operating expenses (OPEX) reduction:
– application of fault location equipment;
– application of automatic circuit reclosers;
– creating the networks with low resistance neutral grounding;
– creation of self-restoring power transmission lines;
– usage of service lines;
– usage of insulated traverses and bird diverters on the network certain sections;
– use of remote supervision methods without equipment shutdown.
- The necessity to improve the live working technologies, including work in hard-to-reach places without using vehicles, and their implementation
in 0.4–10 kV distribution networks.
- To optimize the capital outlays of electric grid companies, it is recommended to use:
– generic solutions for the transforming substations construction;
– generic solutions for installing poles, fastening wires and line accessories;
– typical schemes of electrical switchgears;
– replacement of aluminium conductors steel supported with expanded capacity wires, including high-temperature wires for increasing capacity without building a new overhead line.
- To consider it necessary for electric distribution companies to arrange and significantly intensify efforts on the integration of local smart grid (LSG) based on distributed generation with capacity from 5 to 25 MW, determining the practicability of LSG creating, their capacity and places of integration, in the light of the potential benefits.
- A new trend is gaining momentum: closer cooperation between electric grid companies and consumers. The partnership should be established in this area. Joint search for innovative solution in terms of efficient network management, information exchange, demand response and mutual resource savings is in store.
- A human factor is of crucial importance in the distribution power grid. Therefore, it is very important to gain advanced professional training, to implement economic motivation for intensifying personnel activity. Clear corporate procedures and staff instructions on the allocation of responsibilities and the grid operators subdivisions interaction are the pressing issues.
- Necessity to gain, to structure and to spread the pioneering expertise on the whole set of issues faced by the distribution power grid. In this regard, it would be expedient to form further topical discussion platforms and to publish the most valuable materials and solutions in "ELECTRIC POWER. Transmission and Distribution" journal.
Based on the discussion of reports, there are certain recommendations for electric grid companies:
- To introduce employees of PJSC "ROSSETI" subsidiaries, affiliates and branches, as well as other local grid operators with the highlighted issues discussed at the conference and the pilot projects results.
- To discuss the possibility of individual pilot projects expanding, taking into account regional characteristics to obtain the most comprehensive understanding of the possibilities to apply innovative solutions and technologies.
- To reduce the accident rate of power outages due to falling trees, it is necessary to ensure the application of 6-10 kV self-restoring lines, running through forests, during capital repairs, reconstruction and new construction (when an appropriate technical and financial viability is presented).
- To arrange electronic format of the operational documentation at all levels of operational and process management, it is necessary to strengthen the pace of electronic operations logs implementation.
- To confirm the quality of the equipment and materials in use, it is necessary to perform:
– supplied materials and equipment incoming inspection;
– similar multi-vendor products comparative trials;
– equipment and material manufacturers inspections.
To perform the above-mentioned actions for equipment and materials certified by PJSC "ROSSETI" for periodical confirmation of the affirmative certification as well.
- To enhance the proposals submission for improving the regulatory-technical base, legal and regulatory framework. All proposals should be addressed for the attention of the First Deputy Director General, Chief Engineer of PJSC "ROSSETI" for peer inspections and consolidation.
- To share experience with international experts, it is necessary to expand the share of Russian specialists in major global activities, such as regular CIRED conferences and roundtables.
- To schedule the next conference in 2022.
- Review of the VIth All-Russian Conference "Development and Reliability Improvement of Distribution Networks" from the "ELECTRIC POWER. Transmission and distribution" journal
- Video: VIth All-Russian Conference "Development and Reliability Improvement of Distribution Networks"
- Photo report: VIth All-Russian Conference "Development and Reliability Improvement of Distribution Networks"